Skip to main content

The hard and the impossible

From The River Wild:
Meryl: ... I'm sick of the whole thing. I'm sick of the whole fight. Everything has become unbelievably hard.
Her mom: Huh. Honey, forgive me, but you don't know what hard is. That's because you give yourself an out. In our generation, we had no out. That was the pact of marriage. Do you think if I gave myself an out ... with your father, given his orneriness and his deafness, that I wouldn't have taken it years ago?

I have often chatted with my daughters about the difference between the hard and the impossible, and that distinction has been in my mind frequently of late. (Not, by the way, because of my marriage; to quote Joe Dirt, you're paying attention to the wrong part of the story, man.) I think that the values of delayed gratification, sacrifice, and paying for things as you go are increasingly ... not valued.

I have friends that run into hard times, and I understand hard times -- I grew up in them, and most of the world, based on current levels of expectations, is still in them now (not Iraq or Haiti level, but not where people think they should be). There is no shame in being poor. But I increasingly hear people that refuse to change their expectations even when their situations change. They still get a Starbucks? Why? "I just need one." Why don't you move to a smaller house? "I just couldn't make my kids share a room," or "We'd be on top of each other."

And it's not just money. All of the time people will tell me about how they spent their non-paying portion of the day doing whatever (watching a football game, hunting, shopping, catching up on House, sleeping, etc.), then complain about how they didn't have time to do X, where X is the thing that they want me to believe they really value (spend time with their kids, do their homework, practice yodeling, whatever).

I can't say I had a great childhood; we had a classically dysfunctional family. But it was by no means all bad, and one lesson I learned from both of my parents was that there is a different between the hard and the impossible. "I can't" is sometimes right, but only for those things that are truly impossible. "I can't lift a Buick (unless I become enraged after being bombarded with gamma radiation" or "I can't become the King of England." Those are impossible.

"I can't quit smoking" is ... well, a lie. It's just hard. I don't mean "just hard" as a euphemism for "easy" because I know quitting smoking must be earth-shatteringly hard. My father, an alcoholic, stopped drinking and didn't have any alcohol for 33 years, even though he yearned for it almost every day in those 33 years (according to him) ... but he never could quite stop smoking, even when the doctors told him (quite correctly, as it turned out) that it would kill him. But it wasn't impossible, it was just (really, really) hard.

So, toss in your favorite excuses here. "I can't study without the TV on." "I can't make it to class/work on time." "I can't ...." Probably you can, but you don't want to admit that the way you have prioritized your life excludes it.

My own instance of this vice is when I say, "I can't work out right now; I'm too busy." But yet I find time to check my Facebook, pretty much daily. I find time to read leisurely most evenings. I go to restaurants for lunch. I type long blogs. So, I COULD work out -- I just choose to do those other things, instead.

It is the exact same distinction, by the way, as between "I need" and "I want." We need very few things. Check out the people living through the cluster that is Haiti right now (or take a drive down into the Delta, for something closer to central AR); they are living, most of them without Starbucks, American Idol, a sports car, or a home theater room. Both of my daughters would get irritated with me when they would say things like, "I need you to take me to my friend's house," and I would say ... "No you don't. You want me to." "You know what I mean!," they would reply angrily, and I: "They aren't the same thing, and if you believe they are, you are lying to yourself ... which is even worse than lying to me." I'm sure that got me their vote for father of the year. heh.

But, though I want to be father of the year, I don't need to.

And it's not impossible to avoid end-of-post puns, but it's hard enough that I won't make the effort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to read the Bill of Rights

The legal rights in the Bill of Rights didn't exist until the 20th century Social media has been abuzz with the Bill of Rights, and in particular the 1st Amendment, recently. Many posts, explicitly or implicitly, trace the Bill of Rights to the Founders.  That's wrong and leads to a poor understanding. A proper reading of the Constitution and the law reveals that, while the text was written then, these rights did not apply even on paper to the states until 1868, in fact until the middle of the 20th century, or even into the 21st century for the 2nd Amendment. “It is a Constitution we are expounding.” The Constitution sets out principles and goals, structures and limitations, and we must never forget that . It is law -- the highest law of the land , in fact -- but it is not code , which is detailed and often attempts to be exhaustively complete and explicit. The Constitution was written to provide a framework of balances by a group of  flawed aristocrats trying to rebel from ano

Election 2016: Why Hillary’s conflated scandals are unconvincing #ImWithHer

This is part of a series of posts on Election 2016 . To be honest, I’ve stopped listening to most of the scandals about Hillary. That’s not because I think she is perfect or would never do something scandalous, but because the noise of obvious crap, generated over 3 decades, has made me jaded about spending any time investigating stories by people who think Killary is a fascist Communist. To be clear, I think she is an imperfect human. We don’t subject most politicians to the kind of scrutiny that Hillary has faced – how much do we know about George and Laura’s relationship, or his struggles with addiction, for instance?  But she isn’t perfect.  I think she is a bit paranoid and has a tendency to “circle the wagons” at the slightest sign of problems, and I think she is a fierce competitor that swings first and asks questions later. Like all successful politicians, she is willing to spin the truth to meet her needs, and she comes across, in crowd settings, as a bit fake.  Unlik

Astrologists and racists, or this is where the party ends

How are astrologists like racists?  There could be a funny one-liner response to that, I'm sure, but the answer I'm looking for is simple:  They are lazy thinkers. I'm going to spend a few paragraphs here doing a cursory job of debunking both viewpoints and showing why they are lazy, but I'm not going to go into much detail, as that's not the real point I want to make. Astrology:  Really?  You honestly think that 1/12th of the human race will have the same general set of experiences based on when they were born?  (This is assuming the "normal" Zodiac, though a similar thing can be said about, for instance, the Chinese Zodiac, and this is ignoring the silliness added in by distinguishing between "Sun signs" and "moon signs.")  Do you realize that these signs were based on people believing some quite inaccurate things about the stars (like virtually anything besides that they are gaseous giants that are light years away)?  Did you kno