Skip to main content

A plea to my conservative friends

I'm feeling pretty vulnerable today, and I'm asking my conservative friends for your help.

This isn't a debate or a clever ploy to question your vote. I believe that you voted your conscience, and you are sincere in your desire to make America great. (If I didn't think that, I would not associate with you.) And I share your hope that America does continue to progress.

I've spent the last day consoling people who have strong fears about what this election means for them personally. I believe most of my conservative friends would be among the first to step forward and help when there is real pain, so I'm asking for your help, both in consoling those hurt by the outcome and -- much more importantly -- making sure their fears are unfounded.

Please help us make sure that our culture repudiates sexual harassment and abuse, from any person in any position of authority. Please help us prove that the election was not a tacit approval of sexist behavior, but instead a desire to move in a different direction. Again, I honestly believe that my conservative friends absolutely agree with this, but help us heal the divide here. There is no more campaign, so we can all actively strive toward universal acceptance that it's not okay.

Also, please help in the continued struggle for freedom of religion. Let everyone know that they are just as much a citizen, deserving respect for their spiritual beliefs, no matter their creeds. Christians, Muslims, Jews, agnostics, atheists, pagans ... we are all equally valid Americans and people, and the hope and dream of preventing powerful people from imposing their theology on the unpowerful still shines bright in America. This is especially important for our Muslim friends. They are worried that they will be targeted, that if they leave to visit friends and family they will not be able to return, that the dream of freedom America embodies will be denied to their friends are family simply because of their honest and sincere beliefs. I truly believe that my conservative friends generally show that they lead with love, and now is a time to reaffirm that America is a place for all.

Please help us continue to repudiate the vestiges of slavery. I know my conservative friends are not racist, or at least not more racist than others. But people of color have felt attacked and marginalized because of their color. This is true of my Hispanic friends, my black friends, and my Asian friends, and I suspect of others. This campaign has driven artificial wedges between people that do not have to exist, that should not exist. Please help, or continue to help if you already are. And please realize the honest pain and uncertainty people in this group feel, even if you think it doesn't make sense.

I know that people of all stripes appreciate the plight of the disabled. Many with disabilities are scared, especially scared that they might lose the protection against pre-existing conditions causing them to lose their ability to get health insurance and care. Whatever decisions are made about the ACA, please help these lovely humans, oftentimes the weakest among us. Again, I think my conservative friends are often in the forefront to help, but I am not sure that everyone understands the fear engendered here, especially with some of the rancor in the campaign.

I have gay friends that wanted to remove their Hillary signs today because they were afraid of retribution. I know that the violence in the rallies was a small minority of people, but the fear is real that that violent behavior is now acceptable. I have heard several people talk about needing to be with others, specifically with the idea that a pack of people is safer than an individual. I've heard that progressives should avoid areas outside the cities. This might sound like paranoia to someone who is happy that Trump was elected, but I promise that these are real and deep fears held by many, many people.

I live in the deep south, in an area that is redder than red. I have watched as my friends get congratulatory texts and emails, and listened as they talk about winning. In the sense of a competition, I am happy for them. And, as much as I struggle with this election -- by far more than any other, including the drawn-out Bush v. Gore --, I strongly support the peaceful exchange of power, and I appreciate that we live in a country where that still functions.

But please remember that literally millions of people were crying last night, feeling like who they are will now be used against them, that people's votes were proof that certain classes of people were lesser. I do not want you to repudiate your vote, and I'm not trying to give a rhetorical nudge for you to feel guilty. I really believe you did what you think is best. But people are scared and hurting, unable to sleep because they or their children or friends might be targets of hate or bigotry or ignorance. As much as you are happy, as much as you cannot understand why anyone would want Hillary, they are sincerely sad and scared, some even terrified. Please understand that I am not exaggerating.

I hope this is a time when we can come together as Americans and say that love is nonpartisan, that the campaigns were not representative of how we feel as individuals, and that we all want everyone to be happy to live a life without fear in America.

Please help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to read the Bill of Rights

The legal rights in the Bill of Rights didn't exist until the 20th century Social media has been abuzz with the Bill of Rights, and in particular the 1st Amendment, recently. Many posts, explicitly or implicitly, trace the Bill of Rights to the Founders.  That's wrong and leads to a poor understanding. A proper reading of the Constitution and the law reveals that, while the text was written then, these rights did not apply even on paper to the states until 1868, in fact until the middle of the 20th century, or even into the 21st century for the 2nd Amendment. “It is a Constitution we are expounding.” The Constitution sets out principles and goals, structures and limitations, and we must never forget that . It is law -- the highest law of the land , in fact -- but it is not code , which is detailed and often attempts to be exhaustively complete and explicit. The Constitution was written to provide a framework of balances by a group of  flawed aristocrats trying to rebel from ano

Election 2016: Why Hillary’s conflated scandals are unconvincing #ImWithHer

This is part of a series of posts on Election 2016 . To be honest, I’ve stopped listening to most of the scandals about Hillary. That’s not because I think she is perfect or would never do something scandalous, but because the noise of obvious crap, generated over 3 decades, has made me jaded about spending any time investigating stories by people who think Killary is a fascist Communist. To be clear, I think she is an imperfect human. We don’t subject most politicians to the kind of scrutiny that Hillary has faced – how much do we know about George and Laura’s relationship, or his struggles with addiction, for instance?  But she isn’t perfect.  I think she is a bit paranoid and has a tendency to “circle the wagons” at the slightest sign of problems, and I think she is a fierce competitor that swings first and asks questions later. Like all successful politicians, she is willing to spin the truth to meet her needs, and she comes across, in crowd settings, as a bit fake.  Unlik

Astrologists and racists, or this is where the party ends

How are astrologists like racists?  There could be a funny one-liner response to that, I'm sure, but the answer I'm looking for is simple:  They are lazy thinkers. I'm going to spend a few paragraphs here doing a cursory job of debunking both viewpoints and showing why they are lazy, but I'm not going to go into much detail, as that's not the real point I want to make. Astrology:  Really?  You honestly think that 1/12th of the human race will have the same general set of experiences based on when they were born?  (This is assuming the "normal" Zodiac, though a similar thing can be said about, for instance, the Chinese Zodiac, and this is ignoring the silliness added in by distinguishing between "Sun signs" and "moon signs.")  Do you realize that these signs were based on people believing some quite inaccurate things about the stars (like virtually anything besides that they are gaseous giants that are light years away)?  Did you kno