Skip to main content

Compounding interest and the worth of black lives #BlackLivesMatter

George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, Philando Castile, Botham Jean, Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, Eric Garner, Rayshard Brooks, Sean Monterrosa ...

I haven't blogged in over two years, but after the world blew up on May 25, 2020, I decided I should start again.  My issue is that I am not particularly good at raising up other people's voices, and I don't think my own voice is as cogent right now.  I'm going to make one overarching point, and then include just a few links to the voices and stories of people of color, and why I think each one is worth you giving your attention for a few minutes.

My overarching point is compounding interest. A common argument by those who find the term "white privilege" to be offensive is that slavery ended a century and a half ago, Jim Crow last century, etc.  The underlying premise seems to be if someone isn't getting lynched or enslaved, and if the laws are not explicitly against them, then black people are just as well off.

But we should all immediately understand that isn't true. All it takes is small but consistent problems to make large differences over time.  If you have a mortgage, do you want a 3.5% interest rate or a 4.5% interest rate?  That 1% isn't a big deal in a single payment, but over time, it is huge.  People of color aren't just dealing with huge, immediately life threatening issues -- they are slightly worse off in job prospects, slightly more likely to be arrested, slightly more likely to be assaulted, slightly more likely to be convicted, slightly more likely to be suspected by shop owners, etc.  Each of these compounds over time. Every person capable of reading this blog to this point can comprehend this, and see similar situations in their own lives.

When I've been the victim of a bigot that slammed my head against a brick wall for being white, it was horrible.  But I went home, and I am white, so the system is set up in my favor. I don't think I should feel guilty about that, but I do think I'm the one who reaps the rewards, so I shouldn't sit back and act like it isn't happening. I should be part of the solution, not the problem.

So, here are some voices that have shaped how I have thought about this issue recently:
  • There is a lie that people don't understand privilege, or they think it doesn't exist.  Amy Cooper understood it.
  • Wow, those friends from high school ... anyway, sometimes we can be positively impressed. My friend Yoni is married to Michael, and his post on Facebook really made me understand how woefully ignorant of history I am.  The quote that got me most: "Why? Because bad policing is a byproduct of a broken system. George Floyd died because of a broken system. Black men, women, and children have been brutally beaten and killed by the police and organized mobs every decade since slavery ended because of a broken caste system."
  • Trevor Noah had an 18-minute discussion on his take. His South African thoughts on similarities with apartheid, and in particular his explanation on why rioting can begin when a section of the population doesn't feel like the societal bargain is being met, helped me understand and empathize more with rioters and looters.
  • Our criminal justice system is by no means broken solely in regards to police brutality. Season 3 of the podcast Serial showed me how horrific and racist the system is.  It follows a couple of court rooms in Ohio, and it helped me understand why people of color would absolutely NOT want to cooperate with the police and the justice system.
  • I love football, and obviously Kaepernick's respectfully taking a knee was the warning that the world did not listen to. Because I'm a Cowboys fan, I'm greatly conflicted about Jerry Jones, but I'm not at all conflicted by Dak Prescott. He has pledged a million dollars to help better educate and train the police in Texas.  It's a stance that puts him potentially at odds with the Defund the Police movement, threading the needle between both sides in a classy act of leadership in an impossible situation.  "As a Black Multi-racial American, I am disgusted and unsettled! ... I have viewed these protests and riots in our streets as a form of strength and an attempt to show that we as Black people have rights that aren't being perceived equally as our counterparts."
  • Did I mention how messed up the criminal justice system is?  Bryan Stephenson's book Just Mercy, and the movie based on it (free for the moment), show how incredibly racist prosecutors can be allowed to be, especially when overseen by (and this is too insane to make up) a judge named Robert E. Lee.
There are obviously many more voices, but each of these has directly influenced me.

I'm hoping that this current movement continues to make incremental change, and that compounding interest works in a more positive way from here forward.

Comments

  1. This is a very thoughtful piece. I like your analogy to compound interest. I cried all through the movie Just Mercy and wanted to apologize for and punch in the face all in the white community who are ignorant, mean, and judge people by their skin color. We each have some bias regardless of ethnicity, but to see what we in the white population have allowed to perpetuate against people of color including Native Americans hurts me to my core. I will admit that I do not like the term "white privilege," although I understand its definition and see why the use of it arose. Keep writing, Brandon. You always make offer a thought-provoking perspective and a fresh voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will do what I can, with what I can. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to read the Bill of Rights

The legal rights in the Bill of Rights didn't exist until the 20th century Social media has been abuzz with the Bill of Rights, and in particular the 1st Amendment, recently. Many posts, explicitly or implicitly, trace the Bill of Rights to the Founders.  That's wrong and leads to a poor understanding. A proper reading of the Constitution and the law reveals that, while the text was written then, these rights did not apply even on paper to the states until 1868, in fact until the middle of the 20th century, or even into the 21st century for the 2nd Amendment. “It is a Constitution we are expounding.” The Constitution sets out principles and goals, structures and limitations, and we must never forget that . It is law -- the highest law of the land , in fact -- but it is not code , which is detailed and often attempts to be exhaustively complete and explicit. The Constitution was written to provide a framework of balances by a group of  flawed aristocrats trying to rebel from ano

Election 2016: Why Hillary’s conflated scandals are unconvincing #ImWithHer

This is part of a series of posts on Election 2016 . To be honest, I’ve stopped listening to most of the scandals about Hillary. That’s not because I think she is perfect or would never do something scandalous, but because the noise of obvious crap, generated over 3 decades, has made me jaded about spending any time investigating stories by people who think Killary is a fascist Communist. To be clear, I think she is an imperfect human. We don’t subject most politicians to the kind of scrutiny that Hillary has faced – how much do we know about George and Laura’s relationship, or his struggles with addiction, for instance?  But she isn’t perfect.  I think she is a bit paranoid and has a tendency to “circle the wagons” at the slightest sign of problems, and I think she is a fierce competitor that swings first and asks questions later. Like all successful politicians, she is willing to spin the truth to meet her needs, and she comes across, in crowd settings, as a bit fake.  Unlik

Astrologists and racists, or this is where the party ends

How are astrologists like racists?  There could be a funny one-liner response to that, I'm sure, but the answer I'm looking for is simple:  They are lazy thinkers. I'm going to spend a few paragraphs here doing a cursory job of debunking both viewpoints and showing why they are lazy, but I'm not going to go into much detail, as that's not the real point I want to make. Astrology:  Really?  You honestly think that 1/12th of the human race will have the same general set of experiences based on when they were born?  (This is assuming the "normal" Zodiac, though a similar thing can be said about, for instance, the Chinese Zodiac, and this is ignoring the silliness added in by distinguishing between "Sun signs" and "moon signs.")  Do you realize that these signs were based on people believing some quite inaccurate things about the stars (like virtually anything besides that they are gaseous giants that are light years away)?  Did you kno